Wednesday, February 12, 2014


When-Then Syndrome

“A belief is a thought you continue to think” ~Abraham

Do you suffer from "when-then" syndrome?  In other words- "when I lose weight, then I can begin to date again." OR, "when I get a new job, make more money, find a better house, get in shape, etc; then I will be happy...

This syndrome (also known as the If-Then syndrome) is prevalent in our society and unfortunately, many of us suffer from it. (Think of how many times you’ve said- “If I had more money in the bank, then I’d be happier) Sometimes this is in one particular area of our lives or it may seep throughout our whole experience. We humans are an interesting bunch.  We set goals, have hopes, dreams and desires; and we also have a set of underlying beliefs that tell us that we can’t be truly happy until….How often have we put off our happiness “UNTIL” we have that elusive something?

Here is something interesting that I’ve learned about life.  Not everything is “Light and Love.”  Life can be messy, joyous, sad, happy, gross, shocking, boring, tiresome, irrationally exuberant, uplifting, creative, funky…I could go on and on, but you get the idea.  And not just the extremes either.  There are so many shades of in-between-ness too. Sometimes there is a sort of beneath the surface unrest. A sense of unrest that we can’t quite identify. Yet, it is this very unrest wherein lies the key to our peace of mind. When we are aware of the underlying belief system that is at play- we can begin to take steps toward freedom. 

Being the optimist that I am, here are some suggestions to help you break away from this mind-numbing or soul dampening thought syndrome– When you catch yourself using the “when-then” phrasing or something similar:

~Begin where you are (acceptance)
~Consciously choose Peace (openness)
~Be Grateful for everything that is in your life right now (appreciation)
~Follow your own energy (observation)
~Be Mindful (awareness without judgment)
~Don’t believe everything you think ( detachment)

Remember ~don’t be so busy looking at the mountain that you forget to take the first step on the path!

When I begin to LOVE me in totality , then I can truly LOVE everything…
Namaste~ cathie

www.jewelsofthelotus.com

No comments:

Post a Comment